TIME WELL SPENT OUTDOORS
How often do you spend time outdoors to just decompress and relax?
For me, never really. But once I do I always think, why don't I do this more?
As a high school teacher my days are spent inside for the 8-10 hours I am at school. We do not have recess (though teenagers so need it in my opinion) so I don't have that brief but necessary time to be outside. I don't even have a window in my room, so when students ask what the weather is like I always have to laugh and remind them that I don't leave my classroom all day.
With summer here I now have ample time to be outside with no excuses of having to grade, lesson plan, or pack my lunch. One of my goals for this upcoming school year is to remember to take time for myself. And this means spending more time outside every now and then!
Below are some of the benefits of spending time outdoors-
- Being outside can change the physical expression of stress on the body. Even a view of nature out a window is associated with lower stress and higher job satisfaction
- Enjoying the outdoors can help eliminate fatigue
- Anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues may all be eased by some time in nature- especially when it's combined with exercise
- It could improve your ability to focus
- You'll be happier! (especially if you exercise outdoors)