HOW TO UNWIND: PT. 2
YOU KNOW THOSE NIGHTS WHERE YOUR MIND JUST CANNOT STOP RACING? THE CONSTANT TO DO LIST RUNNING THROUGH YOUR HEAD, THE LESSON THAT YOU HAVE YET TO FINALIZE FOR THE NEXT DAY, OR THE PARENT YOU HAVE GOT TO CALL BUT KEEP PUTTING IT OFF?
I HAVE FOUND THAT THE ONLY TRUE WAY TO GET MY MIND OFF OF A STEADY STREAM OF THOUGHTS AND WORRIES IS TO TRANSPORT MYSELF TO ANOTHER WORLD THAT IS NOT MY OWN. NOT SCROLLING THROUGH PINTEREST OR INSTAGRAM, BUT READING.
FROM A YOUNG AGE I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED AND ENJOYED READING. AS A TEACHER I ALWAYS HOPE THAT MY STUDENTS GROW TO LOVE READING AS WELL.
DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR MY TIME TO READ SEEMS TO SLOW DOWN, BUT I TRY MY BEST TO FIT AT LEAST ONE TO TWO BOOKS A MONTH INTO MY SCHEDULE. DURING THE SUMMER I AM ABLE TO GET CAUGHT UP AND READ DOZENS OF BOOKS. THAT IS ONE THING THAT I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO ABOUT SUMMER APPROACHING. HERE ARE SOME OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS THAT I HAVE READ AND WHAT I AM HOPING TO READ SOON, RELATED TO TEACHING/EDUCATION AND JUST FOR FUN.
WHAT I HAVE READ - JUST FOR FUN:
- Crazy Rich Asians Series, By Kevin Kwan (three books so far, the first is now a movie premiering August 2018! CANNOT WAIT, seriously loved this series)
- The Nest, By Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney (this is like Gossip Girl for grownups)
- The Good Daughter, By Karin Slaughter
- The Couple Next Door, By Shari Lapena
- In a Dark, Dark Wood, By Ruth Ware
WHAT I WANT TO READ - JUST FOR FUN:
- Grist Mill Road, By Christopher J. Yates
- The Immortalists, By Chloe Benjamin
- The Woman in the Window, By A.J. Finn
WHAT I HAVE READ - TEACHING/EDUCATION RELATED:
- How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character, By Paul Tough
- Crash Course: The Life Lessons My Students Taught Me, By Kim Bearden
- Move Your Bus, By Ron Clark
- The Essential 55, By Ron Clark
WHAT I WANT TO READ - TEACHING/EDUCATION RELATED:
- Teach Like Finland, By Timothy D. Walker
- I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything For Our Kids, By Kyle Schwartz
- Educated, By Tara Westover
- The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough, By Wade King and Hope King